News & Tips
8 WEEK CHALLENGE (FEB 2021)
What’s the 8 week challenge all about?
Starting Monday 1st February
If you want to truly change your body shape and body composition, strength training and modifying your food intake is the best approach (modifying your food but still having a bit of fun, of course). Over the 8 week challenge, you’ll get 2 x 4 week gym programs or home programs which will help you progressively improve your strength as well as calorie goals (and tips on how to track food intake) to help you modify your food to either drop body fat or build muscle.
The results you get out of this challenge will very much depend on the effort you put into it. Are you ready for this?
This challenge is for you if:
- You’re ready to make some big, positive changes to your life
- You’re viewing this as an 8 week kick-start to a more long term mindset change to how you approach exercise and food
- You’re relatively injury free and are able to move your body comfortably in all directions
- You’re happy to lift weights at the gym (I have 2 levels of the challenge – beginner and int/adv)
- You have 8 weeks of time in your life where you can focus on gym training and food preparation
- You are prepared to LEARN and understand that gym sessions are NOT about burning calories, rather, getting stronger
This challenge is NOT for you if:
- You’re not prepared to make any changes to your current lifestyle outside of the gym (including food intake)
- You’re seeing this as ‘it’s only 8 weeks, then it’s over and I can go back to my old habits’
- You have lots of movement limitations and injuries
- You don’t want to get stronger and are just hoping for a magical exercise that flattens your tummy (hint: there’s NO magical exercise for this, if you want flatter abs you must be prepared to change your food intake)
- You’ll be away for periods of time throughout the challenge period and will be unable to stick to your food plan (1st Feb to 28th March)
- You’re super stressed and not sure if you can add training to your crazy schedule or spend time focusing on your food intake.
- You’re only focused on how many calories you’re burning at the gym
What will I need to do?
All programs are 100% online, there’s no face to face PT sessions. You’ll need to be familiar with the gym and have a basic knowledge on how to use the machines and weights. There’s also a home program for those who don’t have access to the gym at the moment. The programs will be delivered via an app on your phone and will include videos of each exercise. You’ll need to track your food intake using MyFitnessPal app on your phone. You’ll need to be tech savvy so you can follow along with everything, including weekly Zoom group catch ups (this is your opportunity to ask questions as a group. If you’re unable to attend, I’ll email the recordings).
You’ll be tracking your food intake according to calorie goals that I will calculate for you.
You’ll have step targets to reach. For many people this might be around 10,000 steps a day but it all depends on what you’re currently doing.
What am I required to have prior to the start?
You are required to have a smart phone so you can download and use the training app and My Fitness Pal. You also must have a set of digital kitchen scales to weigh and measure your food and a watch that tracks your step count that you wear all day, every day. I strongly suggest Apple watch or Fitbit as they both sync with my training app. YOU MUST HAVE THESE PRIOR TO THE START.
You are required to have a ‘can do’ attitude. Bring no excuses with you to this challenge!
What are the training programs like?
There’s 2 levels of gym programs to choose from:
- Beginner – If you’re new to the gym floor, this is the one for you. Exercises are simple, yet effective. No barbell squats or deadlifts. You’ll be using machines and dumbbells.
- Intermediate/advanced – You’ve been lifting weights in the gym for more than 12 months and you CAN barbell squat and deadlift confidently with good form. This program includes barbell work as well as machines and dumbbells.
Also a home program:
- For those who do not have gym access at the moment, YES YOU CAN join in the challenge.
All programs are 3 days a week training. You must be able to do at least 3 sessions a week, with an optional 4th. This may mean that you need to reduce something in your usual weekly schedule, please do not try to add 4 weights sessions on top of doing your usual 5 gym classes every week.
My gym programs are designed to get you stronger and change your body shape. They are NOT about burning calories. You’ll get 2 programs that you’ll spend 4 weeks on each. There’s no chopping and changing to crazy different exercises every week. The idea is to repeat movements and gradually become stronger and better at the movements. THIS is what changes your body, not random exercises.
Will I see a dramatic change in 8 weeks?
Some will see more changes than others. It will depend mainly on the effort you put into all aspects of the challenge as well as where you’re currently at with strength and fitness. If this challenge is a big change to your current lifestyle and you’re able to be consistent throughout the 8 weeks (and beyond), you’ll see more obvious results.
Build or cut?
Whether you are wanting to grow lean muscle or reduce body fat, your training program is exactly the SAME! Your food intake will determine this change as well as your step count goals (this is ‘incidental movement’ throughout the day as well as going for walks, doing other cardio activity).
Build – I will calculate your calorie intake to help you build (tone) muscle. You’ll be in a calorie surplus, this means you’ll be gaining weight. It’s almost impossible to build muscle in a calorie deficit, you must eat an excess of food to gain muscle but it must be calculated and accurate, not just an uncontrolled constant pig out. It takes a long time to build muscle, so you will not see dramatic results in 8 weeks, but if you choose this option, it will definitely get you started in the right direction for great long term results.
Cut – I will calculate your calorie intake to help you lose body fat. When done correctly, you will lose weight and body fat and reveal the muscle you already have (reveal muscle ‘tone’). As mentioned above, it’s very, very difficult for the body to gain ‘tone’ or new muscle growth in a calorie deficit. Your gym training will help your body maintain the muscle you have, so it’s important to lift weights and stay strong.
I can help you determine which option is best for you.
Via the training app, you’ll be invited into a group chat room where you can all share your challenges, triumphs, ideas, questions, motivate each other and help each other out with questions and answers. I’ll be active in the chat room to help too. Creating this kind of community is really important, I want everyone to get involved.
When do I need to sign up by?
Last day for signs ups is MONDAY 25TH JANUARY. Absolutely no later than this date. You must be on board 1 week prior to the start date to be prepared.
How much does it cost?
This fee is non-refundable and it does NOT include gym entry fees. Your gym membership fees are separate to this.
Is there a prize?
Sure is. Firstly, my whole aim for doing this challenge is to help educate people and change the way they think and approach their food and training. The prize out of this is to achieve better health for yourself. This must be your reason for joining in the first place.
The winner of the challenge will receive a further 8 weeks of personal online coaching from me, valued at $479.
The winner WILL NOT be judged on how much weight they lose, rather how consistent they are throughout the 8 weeks at achieving all set goals and how much they learn from the process. If someone is deliberately starving themselves to lose weight during this challenge, they WILL NOT WIN.
- Consistently doing all training sessions
- Consistently achieving step count targets
- Consuming good amounts of fruit and vegetables every day (I will see this via the training app and your MPF food tracking)
- Consistently achieving calorie targets and protein targets (within ranges), so NOT deliberately under eating to try to win
- Taking a healthy approach to making all of the above changes
- Progress photos – you MUST take progress pics at the start, mid way and the end. Photos are confidential. No one sees your photos without written permission.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to the journey
- Ensuring healthy sleep patterns and healthy stress management
- Body composition changes will be the result of your overall commitment
Are you ready to do this? Let’s go!
Sign me up for the Beginner challenge
Sign me up for the Intermediate/advanced challenge
Sign me up for the Home training challenge
Note: Jodie’s 8 week challenge is being run exclusively by Jodie Webster, Personal Trainer at The Juniors Fitness Centre, Kingsford. Aside from the location, The Juniors Fitness Centre and its staff are not responsible for or involved in the fitness challenge. Please direct all enquiries to Jodie Webster.